How did I learned to cope with fibromyalgia?

 

Image Source: Total Orthocare


Fibromyalgia - a disorder characterized by widespread musculoskeletal pain accompanied by fatigue, sleep, memory and mood issues. This is an experience of mine when I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia.


Last summer we were moving to our new apartment and were very excited to move to our new apartment and with that we were finishing up the work. Suddenly while lifting a large object, I felt a jolt up my back. I felt a deep pain and was unable to move and thought I should take a rest. I also thought that this pain would go away after a rest. Later that evening I felt a tingling sensation in my lower back as soon as I moved. It has almost been more than 5 hours since my first experience of pain and yet it was the same after this time.


I thought of taking a pain relieving medication as it was very uncomfortable to live with that pain. At night it was very difficult for me to have dinner because it was very painful to sit on the table. I was still having the thought that the pain will go away till morning. The next morning I felt that the pain resided a bit and was less than the previous day. Still I used a pain relieving spray and started with moving. This time, in order not to put strain on my back, I made sure that I only carry light objects. The pain was barely noticeable this time and so I was happy and with that we finished our packing and moved to our new apartment.


It wasn’t that the pain in my lower back was completely subsided but I could still work with it. Anyways we were all stuck at home due to the pandemic and going out was out of the question. I was working from home and so I reminded myself to have a little walk around the room every hour so that my back doesn't get stiff. For a couple of days it was alright but after a week or so it started again.


My back pain returned and it was unbearable just like the first time, in fact now it was worse than before. This time I noticed other symptoms as well such as improper sleep, mood swings and always feeling tired. So finally I thought of visiting an orthopedic doctor to get a solution for my condition. The orthopedist asked me to do a couple of tests to target the exact problem. With the tests done, my doctor concluded that I was suffering from Fibromyalgia. I have already summed in a sentence what fibromyalgia is at the start. I found that the very first jolt of pain that I felt while lifting a heavy object has triggered this condition in me. My doctor said that I have to live with this condition with regular medications to suppress the pain.


It has been almost a year after that incident and now I have learned how to cope with it. I have made some changes in my lifestyle to manage the symptoms and improve the quality of my life. With fibromyalgia, now I have to carefully balance my activities and how much energy I spend every day. Even though I may still have plenty of time left in a day, I need to be home and on the couch when my tank hits empty. If I overexert myself, I won’t have the energy to do anything for the next three days.


Sleeping pills will help me fall asleep, but because I’m in constant pain, I don’t get that deep, restful sleep that many others can enjoy. For me, it seems like there’s just no way to wake up refreshed. Because fibromyalgia affects the central nervous system, my body’s pain response is amplified. I experience these lovely electrical shooting pains on a regular basis — and they’re worse and longer than a static electricity shock. It’s particularly inconvenient when they show up in the middle of a work meeting, making me almost leap out of my seat.


One of the most annoying symptoms of fibromyalgia just might be “fibro fog.” If you want to know what it feels then it's like some days you’re living in a fog of confusion, and there’s nothing you can do to get yourself together. We’re talking putting your keys in the fridge, forgetting what year it is, and getting disoriented as you try to find your way home on a basic route you’ve walked hundreds of times before.


Fibromyalgia makes life insanely challenging, but it also brings its own strange advantages, like learning to be thankful for the small everyday beauties of life. One thing I’m grateful for are my loved ones who truly try to understand how I’m feeling, even though it’s challenging. Their empathy makes the worst days a little better.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Osteomalacia - Causes, Symptoms & Diagnosis

Traditional vs. Minimally Invasive Back Surgery

How to manage Ankle Sprain?